2010 has been an awesome year for myself and Dangerously Beautiful. I’m soo excited about 2011 and all that it will have to offer me. I once heard that in success 80% is hard work and the other 20% is luck. I like to feel that I work 90% but hey, I’ll take the 80. So to help with that 20%, I’ve found some “lucky” foods for your New Year’s lucky feast.
Greens and Beans. Sounds like a bad combination, but the greens represent dollar bills and the beans coins. These foods are supposed to make sure that you are blessed with the luck of money for incoming new year. I’ll take 2 plates please!
Grapes. From a tradition in Spain, you’re supposed to eat 12 grapes to represent the new year. If you have a sour or sweet grape, it’s supposed to represent how the month will be for the new year. For example, if the fourth grape is sweet, April will be a great month for you. (It should be because that’s my birthday month!)
Pork. Sorry vegetarians, but pork is considered lucky in many cultures because the rich fat content symbolizes wealth and prosperity. Also, the pig represents progress. I’m not a huge fan of pork, but you can combine pork and beans by eating a very popular southern dish called Hoppin’ John. (see below, looks yummy)
Fish. Fish is lucky for different reasons. The scales resemble money (a lot of focus on money, hmm) and fish swim in schools which invoke the idea of abundance. So if I understand this correctly, eating fish means getting an abundance of money? Sounds like plan. Grill me up a huge piece of Salmon!
Cake. Many European countries bake a round cake with a coin inside. It is believed that the person that finds the coin will be luckiest in the New Year. The round shape also represent coming full circle, which means living a full life. I don’t need an excuse to eat cake, but now I don’t have to feel as bad. I wonder if I’m lucky I get the coin because I eat the entire cake!
These traditions have been around for years and I’m not against any of them (I really don’t want any bad luck). But don’t forget to do your 80% of hard work. I’m going to stick to my 90% in case I can’t eat all of this stuff! Respect my mind, Respect my grind!by Latrice